Whirlwind Weekend – 2/16-2/17/13

February 22, 2013 at 3:50 pm | Posted in life, snow, sunset, weekend, winter | 1 Comment

So, as many of you know I had kind of a busy weekend this past weekend. I’ve sang most of my life, albeit mostly during karaoke nights at the local bar or pub. But after watching last season of The Voice, I got it in my head, that I would try out for this season. It was at the very least a way to say “I did it”. I had been mulling and tossing songs around for a couple months and only on Thursday or Friday really settled on the two acapella versions of the songs I would have prepared. So I got up Saturday morning and headed out, beginning a 34 hour stretch that would end the following night.

I started out about 10 am, heading out from my house, jumping on 87 south and heading towards NYC. About two and a half hours later I arrived, thankful for easy traffic and clear sailing. Having parked just a few blocks from the Javits Center where the auditions were being held, I arrived at about 1pm. After finding the line to enter (I had signed up for the 2pm auditions) I walked to the end of the line and began the waiting process. Now I was fully aware there would be waiting, I had talked to a friend who did it last year and told me as such. It still was a LOT of waiting.

Just around 2pm, the line began to move. Thankfully those who were not actually auditioning were not allowed inside unless the person auditioning was under 18. This cut out at least half the people who had been in line. So getting inside didnt take too long. Then of course you got to check through security, which actually was pretty smooth as well. All in all, it was pretty well organized. So anyhow, after getting through security, you got to stand in another line. This was so you could actually be checked in and registered. You then were directed around the room to sit in a row of chairs in one of 8-10 sections. Honestly, I dont remember how many there were, it was only 2:30-3pm and my brain was already starting to mush.

Each row of chairs was 14 long and it became clear these would probably be the people you would be auditioning with. Yeah, no solo auditions, which makes sense. ow on earth could you do that many auditions in one day if they were one at a time. So groups of us watched as row after row were stood up and marched out of the main area and off into some back hallway. A joke was made that this was actually a facility for making Cybermen. I because cautious.

After I had lost track of time due to my cell phone dying, we were finally rounded up and marched out of the main area and into the aforementioned back hallway. There was still no sight of Cybermen, although every staff member did have on a headset, so I did not let down my guard. My hope of the Doctor crashing in began to fade. Then there was more waiting and standing. Thankfully I met a couple nice folk so there were people to talk to. We were then herded down a few more hallways until we were lined up outside a small room.

After watching folk exit adjacent rooms, we knew we had finally gotten to the last stage of our journey. Each of us would get about 45 seconds, or enough time to do a verse and chorus of one of the songs we had prepared. We then all went in to meet the producers who would decide our fate. Out of 10 of us in the room, 1 girl was asked for a callback, and 1 girl got a maybe. I wasn’t the best in the room, but I was happy with my performance. After being dismissed, I headed outside, pulling out my phone with it’s limping last few minutes of life. 6:30pm. Roughly six hours after arrival, I was out and on my way.

Since Nikki was up in VT hanging with friends, I had made plans to head to RI to see my friend Jenn. So back in the car I go and head out onto the highway heading northeast. Traffic from NYC to the CT border sucked. It was slower and more congested than I thought it would be for 7pm on a Saturday night. Of course, I’m not sure what I expected but it was something other than that. After getting out and up to highway speed, the rest of the trip went pretty well. There was a few snow flurries, but nothing earth shattering.

A little over three hours later, I arrived in Warwick RI. Jenn had decided to go to a LARP game in CT, so I decided to go right to the hotel I was staying at. I stopped at a convenience store first and picked up some microwave burritos and a bottle of water. Dinner of winners right? I checked in and went right to my room and crashed, only getting up when the microwave went off. There was something on tv but i don’t rightly remember what it was. 13ish hours after leaving the house that morning, i was tucked in and crashed. Sort of. My legs were so tired and sore, they spasmed half the night. Good times.

The next morning I wake up and look out the window. It had snowed the night before, but it was only a few inches. So i got my stuff together, checked out and headed off. We hung out a bit at her house before heading out for lunch. Jenn brought me to a place called “Ted’s Montana Grill”. My short review, if you have the chance, go. Its really good. Anyhow, after that we headed off to buy seafood for me to bring home and then back to Jenn’s to hang for a bit more. Around 5ish, I decided to head out so that I would be home when Nikki got back. Three more hours in the car.

As I drove home, the wind began to pick up, to the point it was pushing my car around by the time I made it back to NY, pulling up to my house just after 8pm Sunday. I ended the day with some McDonald’s drive through and watching tv on the couch. Thirty four hours after leaving the previous morning, I was back home.

As I drove home, there was a gorgeous sunset to my west as I headed up 146 out of RI. I absolutely did NOT take this picture while driving. That would be irresponsible.

Sunset driving home

Sunset driving home

Stats for my trip:
Hours driven –  ~ 10
Miles driven – ~ 550
States driven through – 5
Tolls Paid – $23.56
Time waiting to audition – 6.25 hours
Time Auditioning – .002 hours

1 Comment »

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

  1. That is crazysauce. I’m glad you auditioned, even tho you didn’t get picked. 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.
Entries and comments feeds.

%d bloggers like this: